The arrival of spring means birds are singing, trees are budding, bumblebees return and the sun brings more light and warmth onto our faces. It’s also a time when many get the itch to clean, organize, declutter and sweep out the winter cobwebs. As you’d expect, bed and breakfast owners know a thing or two about cleaning! We have extremely high standards here at our B&B in Salisbury, Mills, NY, particularly during this time with the Covid-19 crisis. It always feels good to do some deep cleaning and organizing to present your best and give your home the uplift it needs. Where do you start? Here are 6 tips to help you attack that spring cleaning!
1) Make a schedule and gather your supplies. Think about what needs the most help or will take the most time and start with that first. Some find it helpful to work from the top of their house to the bottom. It’s also frustrating to get ready for a task only to find out you don’t have the right tools. Get the appropriate supplies before you even start!
2) Set a timer. Decide how long you want to stay in each room. It can be so easy to lose track of time, especially if you unearth an old shoebox with memory keepsakes from high school. Keep the job of going down memory lane for another time and stick to the task at hand.
3) Gather all your laundry first. Go top to bottom and grab everything that needs to be laundered; bedding, slipcovers, shower curtains, rugs, bath mats, throw pillows etc…This way that job is working as you are working and it won’t feel so overwhelming.
4) Hit the commonly missed spits. There are many areas that get bypassed during everyday cleaning so this is a time to get to the cracks, crevices and areas that are commonly missed. A lint roller is a great tool for getting dust off lampshades and a Q-Tip works great on small items like a remote control. A vinegar solution works to get gunk off baseboards and if you follow with a dryer sheet it will bring a nice scent into your room but it’s also dust-repelling so will help keep dust from settling as quickly.
5) Spruce up your towels. Did you know you should never use fabric softener on your towels? It coats the threads and makes them nonabsorbent, meaning you’ll have to replace them sooner! Instead, use 1 cup of white vinegar, once a month, in the rinse cycle
6) Clean the air. The saying, “Out of sight, out of mind” can come into play with such things as furnace and HVAC filters. They are often overlooked during spring cleaning. Your family and house guests need to be breathing clean air and new filters will also do wonders in helping allergy suffers.
If you feel behind the eight-ball or a bit overwhelmed, click HERE for a handy spring cleaning checklist to follow.
The spring season also brings dreams of summer travel! While many are staying around home for the moment, you can still book your future Hudson Valley vacation today! Or, purchase a gift certificate now for a getaway later. Contact us anytime if you have questions or would love some help in planning your next stay at our romantic bed and breakfast.