Recipe of the Week!
This morning, innkeeper Dena made these delicious muffins: a treat for any time of the day! Enjoy the recipe and be on the lookout for more yummy treats.
- 4 T. unsalted butter (melted), plus 1 T. softened butter
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 T. poppy seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 c. plain yogurt
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 can of mandarin oranges
Yield: 12 muffins
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tins with softened butter or cooking spray and set aside
- In a medium bowl, sift cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer (or in your standing mixer) on high until light and fluffy–about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and beat in the yogurt, remaining 4 tablespoons of butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet just until moistened. Be careful not to overmix.
- Add 1 small can of mandarin oranges, being careful not to mix too much.
- Divide the batter among the muffin pans, filling each 1/2-3/4 of the way.
- Bake until the muffins are set and a toothpick tester comes out clean; about 14-16 minutes.
- After slightly cooled, top with powdered sugar for presentation.